When you play movies, tv shows and other videos over Kodi add-ons they usually play brilliantly. However, all add-ons require a pre-buffered amount of data to make sure that your videos don’t pause every second. Kodi saves this video buffer in the RAM, using the 20MB that is allocated to all its add-ons by default.
Sometimes, to cover high quality buffering addons override default settings and save buffered data on your hard drive. Well and good for high spec devices, but low spec devices tend to display messages like “Cache is full, empty your Cache.” This leads to slow video playback and buffering when you play high quality videos.
There is no harm in clearing up the default cache as it frees up space allowing other add-ons to use it to create buffer for video playback, giving you an excellent streaming performance. Kodi will at one point automatically clear the video cache in case it needs the space for its add-ons.
SO, let’s go ahead and discover how to remove (clear) cache in Kodi. Since it’s the same for all versions, I will demonstrate this on Kodi xbmc Jarvis.
How to Clear Cache Automatically in Kodi (Fix Buffering Issues Caused by Full Storage)
There are various program add-ons you can use to clear Kodi caches. However, the newest in town is the Merlin Wizard, a replacement of Merlin Auto Cleaner that clears all your cache. This Wizard is available on Merlin Repository, so read on for how to install Merlin Wizard:
- Open Kodi > Click on Settings icon (located at the top) > Go to File Manager > Then double click Add Source.
- Click where it says ‘None’ > Type the URL http://mwiz.co.uk/repo/ > Click OK > Type the Media Source name ‘MERLIN’ > Click OK.
- Click ‘Backspace’ key multiple time to go back to Kodi Main Menu > Now click on Add-ons > Then click on Package Installer icon (Located at top left corner) .
- Select Install from Zip File > repository.merlin.zip > It will take a few minutes to install the repository.
- Now select Install from Repository > Merlin Repository > Program Add-ons > Merlin Wizard > Click Install > Wait until the add-on is enabled.
- Now go back to Kodi Main Menu > Add-ons > Program Add-ons > Merlin Wizard (Sometimes Merlin Wizard box appears itself, you just have to click Open Merlin Wiard from that box).
- Go to Tool Box option located in the above menu > At the bottom you will see various options, but the most important ones are the 3 options i.e. Clear Caches, Delete Packages, and Delete Thumbnails. Below each of these options will carry a space that each carries. Click on all of these 3 options to free unnecessary space.
- Click on Exit once you have cleared Cache, deleted Packages, and deleted Thumbnails.
Congratulations you have successfully cleared your Kodi cache, enjoy pause free video playback. Do remember that video streaming also depends on a number of factors including you internet connection, your WI-FI connection, ISP throttling etc.
How to Clear Cache in Kodi FireStick
Like the Windows, Mac, and Android versions you can use the same step by step methods listed above to clear the cache in your Kodi for FireStick also. Since the Amazon FireStick has limited storage, it is good to routinely clear the cache on the device.
Just to be sure, also check your FireStick’s connectivity with the router and then clear the cache in FireStick following the same steps as instructed above.
See You Again Soon
Hope you found my how to remove cache in Kodi guide helpful & your streaming issues worked out fine. Check out our blog and guides sections for more interesting add-ons, configuration guides, troubleshooting and unblocking solutions for Kodi.